CE Credits


About Continuing Education Credits

Session attendees

Continuing Education is required to renew most professional licenses. States and provinces use different labels and have varying approval criteria. AWWA provides Certificates of Completion representing CEUs, which can then be converted to a variety of units. You must verify requirements with your state licensing agency prior to registering and receiving credit for your trainings. 

Instructions to access certificates are below. 




Certificates of Completion - Instructions

How to access your Continuing Education certificate

  1. Wait 30-60 days after a program, then visit www.awwa.org
  2. Click My Account in the upper right corner
  3. Login using your User Name and Password (or reset if forgotten)
  4. In your account, select 'My Transcripts' from left-hand menu
  5. Scroll down and click 'Download' button next to each program certificate

If you are having problems with login, please call 800.926.7337 or email Customer Service for assistance. Please read the disclaimer below and allow 30-60 days for certificate processing time.

Which Programs Offer Certificates?

AWWA provides Certificates of Completion for many trainings. We also work with several state Operator licensing agencies and attempt to obtain Operator CE approvals for select trainings.

To receive a Certificate of Completion, attendees must review the program's specific requirements, and we recommend you contact your licensing agency in advance. Instructions to access your self-service certificate are above. 

In-person conferences and symposia will provide an attendance-tracking method onsite. You will track which sessions you attend each day. Please inquire onsite for specifics. 

AWWA Virtual Conferences: Acceptance of virtual programming varies widely per state. For Operator CEUs, live attendance with interaction (Q&A, surveys) is recommended. Contact your state agency in advance. Live attendees will have access to certificates of completion for session attended in-full, however, this may not imply operator CEUs. See above for five-step instructions to access your certificate.

Online eLearning Courses Many states will approve eLearning courses, please contact your licensing agency for details before purchasing online training. After successfully completing a course you will have access to a certificate within your AWWA account.

Webinars Limited states will approve webinars for Operator training. Attendees will receive Certificates of Completion for live webinars, however this does not imply Operator CEUs. Operators must contact your licensing agency for details before viewing a webinar. Please see above for instructions to access your certificate of completion.

Seminars are filed for Operator CEUs in states based on attendee Operator enrollment and Operator request. See above for instructions to access your certificate of completion.


All approvals are at the discretion of your licensing agency.  Please note that a Certificate of Completion does not guarantee that your agency will award you credit. It is the individual's responsibility, before registering for any education program, to contact his/her licensing agency: 1. To confirm that the education program is acceptable for continuing education credit towards your particular license; and 2. To confirm what you need to submit for credit approval. You must contact your specific licensing agency for details. AWWA recommends that you:

  • Contact the agency 30 days prior to attending training
  • Ask your agency about its relevancy criteria
  • Ask your agency if the training format is approved (in-person vs online or other)
  • Find out what credit the agency approves
  • Find out what you need to do in order to receive credit
  • Find out whether you must submit an application prior to attending or submit handouts, etc., after training

Calculate Hours

CE Credits

0.1 CEU = 1 Contact Hours

1 Contact Hour = 60 minutes of instruction (not including breaks)

How to convert CEUs:

  • Convert CHs to CEUs by dividing CHs by 10 (e.g., 3.5 CHs = 0.35 CEUs)
  • If value is past tenth place, round up or down (0.35 becomes 0.4 CEUs; 0.72 becomes 0.7 CEUs).
  • Use Credit Label Conversion Chart for converting AWWA CE Credits into other labels.

Professional Development Hours (PDHS)

1 PDH = 60 min

  • AWWA does not record PDHs, maintain records or provide certificates because agencies allow manual documentation
  • AWWA does provide a form for students to manually track their PDHs
  • Agencies can convert CE Credits into PDHs: 1.0 CEUs = 10 PDHs




FREE CE Credits Transcript Reporting Tool

Store your CE Credits all in one place with the CE Credit reporting tool. You can print your AWWA certificates, sorting by program or date range (goes back SEVEN years). You can even use the transcript as an official document!

To Access Your Transcript

  • Access your AWWA account by clicking here
  • To login, enter your User Name and Password
  • Click on your name from the top right of the screen
  • Select My Transcripts
  • Click “My Transcript Information” (record maintained for seven years)

Transcript is capable of consolidating two types of records:

CE Credits entered by AWWA

  • Entered for trainings (conferences, webinars, seminars, eLearning).
  • Yes or no in AWWA verified column on transcript indicates credit entered by AWWA
  • AWWA can only verify credits entered by AWWA headquarters.

Customer-entered CE Credits

  • Add CE Credits, PDHs and other credit activity awarded by non-AWWA headquarter training.




For credits information or questions, please email Education Services or complete the Credit Inquiry form above.