White's Handbook of Chlorination and Alternative Disinfectants, Fifth Edition
Since the publication of the Fourth Edition of White's Handbook of Chlorination and Alternative Disinfectants more than ten years ago, the water industry has made substantial advances in their understanding and application of chlorine, hypochlorite, and alternative disinfectants for water and wastewater treatment.
This Fifth Edition, with its extensive updates and revisions, reflects the current state of the science as well as the latest practices.
Balancing theory with practice, the Fifth Edition covers such important topics as:
- Advances in the use of UV and ozone as disinfectants
- Alternative disinfectants such as chlorine dioxide, iodine, and bromine-related products
- Advanced oxidation processes for drinking water and wastewater treatment
- New developments and information for the production and handling of chlorine
- Latest regulations governing the use of different disinfectants
For each disinfectant, the book explains its chemistry, effectiveness, dosing, equipment, and system design requirements. Moreover, the advantages and disadvantages of each disinfectant are clearly set forth. References at the end of each chapter guide readers to the primary literature for further investigation.
Authored and reviewed by leading experts in the field of water and wastewater treatment, this Fifth Edition remains an ideal reference for utilities, regulators, engineers, and plant operators who need current information on the disinfection of potable water, wastewater, industrial water, and swimming pools.