Residuals Management and Disposal
EL77 - Residuals Management and Disposal
Course Length: 2 Hours / 0.2 CEUs*
Course Description: Residuals management and disposal have historically presented some challenges to utilities, depending on treatment and the local regulatory framework. These challenges only increase as utilities use more complex treatment technologies, such as membranes and ion exchange, which present their own special management and disposal issues, especially as local regulatory frameworks become increasingly stringent. This course summarizes the types of residuals generated by treatment technologies and presents case studies on appropriate management and disposal.
- Summarize the status of effluent guidelines regulations.
- Recognize emerging issues for residuals management.
- Identify techniques to minimize residuals production.
- Use a cost analysis tool to evaluate various residual disposal methods.
- Describe cost-reduction strategies for residuals.
- Reveal the added cost of residual disposal when removing hard-to-treat contaminants.
CEUs *You may be awarded CEUs/PDHs for AWWA education programs by your licensing agency. AWWA grants Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for this course at a rate of 1 CEU for 10 contact hours. It is the individual's responsibility, before registering for any education program, to contact his/her licensing agency: 1. To confirm that the education program is acceptable for continuing education credit towards your particular license; 2. To confirm what you need to submit for credit approval.