AWWA C214-14 Tape Coatings for Steel Water Pipe
This standard covers the materials and application of tape coating systems in coating plants at fixed sites, using coating techniques and equipment as recommended by the tape coating manufacturer. For normal construction considerations, prefabricated, polyolefin tapes are applied as a three-layer system consisting of: liquid adhesive; corrosion-preventive tape (inner layer); and mechanical-protective tape (outer layer).
This standard establishes the minimum requirements for tape coating systems used on the exterior of steel water pipelines in the potable-water supply industry. Continuous monitoring of all application procedures for the tape coating systems shall be done by the constructor. All AWWA pipe coating standards are intended for potable-water service. Therefore, the maximum service temperature of this coating is based on the maximum service temperature of potable water. These coating systems will perform at higher temperatures.
The purpose of this standard is to provide the minimum performance requirements for tape coating systems for the exterior of steel water pipelines, including system components, application, inspection, testing, and marking and packaging requirements.
The major revisions made to the standard in this edition include:
- The title of the standard was changed
- References were updated.
- Requirements were divided into prequalification requirements for inner- and outer-layer tapes and total-coating system and quality control properties of the applied coating system.
- The minimum value for nonpolyolefinic material was removed.
- The dielectric strength requirements were increased.
- The maximum thickness requirements were removed
- A cathodic disbondment requirement was added.
- Quality control properties for the coated pipe are listed and a peel adhesion test method was created.
- The sections on coating repair in plant and field and on coating of welded and mechanical field joints were revised.
- The verification section was updated to match the new language being used in all coating standards.
- New sections on cathodic disbondment, quality assurance and records, inspecting and testing by the purchaser, coated pipe test quality requirements of coating systems, and adhesion testing, were added.
- The section on rejection (previously nonconformance was expanded to include coating work and coated
- The section on shipping, handling, and storage, was revised.
- The sections on stacking, shipping, loading, and trench side storage were deleted.
A downloadable version of this standard and historical standards are also available.