Register by early-price cutoff (3 weeks out*) for the best rates!
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing, faxed or emailed to AWWA. All cancellations before the early deadline will receive a refund minus a 25% administrative fee. Cancellations post-deadline will not be refunded; however, substitute registrants are welcome. Fax requests for substitutions or cancellations to 303.347.0804 or email Customer Service.
Photo and Information Release: By registering for this event, you agree to allow AWWA to use your photo in any AWWA-related publication or website. Registrants may receive show-related and promotional emails from exhibitors. AWWA uses a third party for this service, and at no time was your email disclosed to sponsors or exhibitors.
The workshop will be held in downtown Chicago, with many nearby hotels to consider. Transportation to the seminar is not included; three possible hotel options are:
December 5, 2019
Registration (continental breakfast will be available)
Welcome and Introductions
The Lead and Copper Rule: Actions that Are (and Will) Impact Utilities
This session will offer a panoramic view of the major legal and regulatory issues confronting water utilities of all sizes and locations with lead and copper requirements, including pending changes to EPA’s Lead and Copper Rule. Legal, regulatory and water utility leaders will highlight the key challenges and share their expertise on how water utilities can navigate these obstacles.
Moderator: Andrew Stewart, Esq., Of Counsel - Sidley Austin LLP (Washington, DC)
• Daniel Arnold, Esq., Office of the General Counsel - Denver Water (Denver, CO)
• Rick Cobb, Deputy Manager of the Bureau of Water - Illinois EPA (Springfield, IL)
• Steve McGinnis, PE, Principal - Ramboll Environ (Overland Park, KS)
Discussion topics will include legal and liability issues surrounding lead and copper provision including
The Tort Liabilities and Water Utilities: Will They Sue Us?
A discussion and examination of various theories and defenses regarding tort liabilities and related issues that water utilities are facing or may face as part of their daily operations. A panel of leading experts from the legal and water sector will share their expertise and perspectives on key areas of tort liability issues.
Moderator: Susan Smith, Esq., Principal - Beveridge & Diamond PC (San Francisco, CA)
• Lance Gable, Esq., Associate Professor of Law - Wayne State University School of Law (Detroit, MI)
• Yolanda Grinstead, Esq., Special Counsel - Sewerage & Water Board of the City of New Orleans (New Orleans, LA)
• J. David Krause, Ph.D., Director of Southeast Operations - Forensic Analytic Consulting Services (Tallahassee, FL)
• Kara McCall, Esq., Partner - Sidley Austin LLP (Chicago, IL)
Discussion topics will include:
Lunch and Speaker
PFAS: New Frontiers of Law, Regulation & Policy
A discussion of current legal, policy and regulatory actions surrounding PFAS of key interest to water utilities. A panel representing the legal, water utility, and regulatory perspectives of PFAS will explore other ubiquitous compounds that have been the focus of litigation such as MTBE and whether there any lessons that can be drawn from those examples.
Moderator: John Sheehan, Esq., Partner - Michael Best & Friedrich LLP (Washington, DC)
• Pete D'Adamo, Ph.D., P.E., Director of Water Treatment - HDR Inc. (Vienna, VA) (INVITED)
• Jessica Brody, Esq., General Counsel - Denver Water (Denver, CO)
• Leah Hurtgen Ziemba, Esq., Partner - Michael Best & Friedrich LLP (Madison, WI)
Discussion topics will include:
What’s Keeping You Up at Night? Legal and Policy Issues on the Minds of Water Utility Leaders
A panel of water utility leaders will discuss legal and policy issues they are most concerned about. This discussion will also include how water utilities are utilizing legal, regulatory and policy resources to navigate risks and protect both their operations and customers.
Moderator: Tracy Mehan, Executive Director - Government Affairs - AWWA (Washington, DC)
• Randal Brown, Esq., General Counsel - Great Lakes Water Authority (Detroit, MI)
• Karen Dettmer, PE, Superintendent - Milwaukee Water Works (Milwaukee, WI)
• John Donahue, CEO - North Park Public Water District (Machesney Park, IL)
• Alex Margevicius, Commissioner - Cleveland Water (Cleveland, OH)
Informal Networking Reception
Preliminary agenda; please check back for updates and additional details.
For questions regarding registration, lodging or general conference questions, please contact the Conferences and Events Group.