Back to Financial Sustainability for Small Systems
EL226 - Financial Sustainability for Small Systems
This eLearning course is made possible through a USEPA grant for small systems training in conjunction with AWWA’s training partner, the Environmental Finance Center.
The EL226 eLearning course is FREE to small water systems serving populations under 10,000. AWWA membership is not required; however, registration is required. To register for free, select Add to Cart, then go to Check Out. Registrants will be directed to the Login/Register page. Select the REGISTER button to create a free account. Upon successful completion of the course, registrants will receive a certificate of completion to file with their states for continuing education credits.
Course Length: 2 Hours / 0.2 CEUs*
Course Description: This eLearning course focuses on 3 major areas needed by small systems to achieve financial sustainability; including understanding enterprise funds and their revenues, as well as an overview of what is needed to protect public health through safe water.
The course is divided into three modules. The first module describes an enterprise fund and explains how to set-up, manage, and use those funds. The second module covers enterprise fund revenues including their origin, what they should cover, and how to set up rates to cover expenses.The third module illustrates the major elements of what it takes to provide safe water to protect public health, including major regulations and their role in water quality, common operational questions managers should address, and how to involve operators in management decisions.
- - Operating a Water System to Protect Public Health
- Explain the health effects of regulations and water quality.
- Answer common operational questions public works managers have about water systems.
- Explain common ways a manager can involve their operators in management decisions.
- - Enterprise Fund Revenues
- Explain the origin of enterprise funds
- Explain what enterprise funds should cover
- Demonstrate how to set rates to cover expenses
- - Understanding Enterprise Funds
- Explain what an Enterprise Fund is.
- Explain what an Enterprise Fund is not.
- Describe what an Enterprise Fund should do for you.
- Demonstrate how to set-up, manage and use your Enterprise Funds.
CEUs *You may be awarded CEUs/PDHs for AWWA education programs by your licensing agency. AWWA grants Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for this course at a rate of 1 CEU for 10 contact hours. It is the individual's responsibility, before registering for any education program, to contact his/her licensing agency: 1. To confirm that the education program is acceptable for continuing education credit towards your particular license; 2. To confirm what you need to submit for credit approval.